And because it’s now integral to advancing so many industries, it’s creating lots of cool opportunities here. With more than 7,500 businesses, the tech industry accounts for almost 8 percent of Connecticut’s entire workforce. (And wages run about 67 percent higher than the national median average!)
Reimagine Process and Innovation for Daily Activities
Here the action (and ideas) are not just confined to hardware, software and networks. But rather, dominated by vision and imagination to help ease, enhance, transform and yes, save lives. For example:
- Encapsulate in Farmington is developing a tumor-on-a-chip system to grow cancer cells outside the body to test chemo drugs and offer truly personalized cancer care.
- Datto in Norwalk provides cloud-based cybersecurity solutions for small/mid-size businesses across the globe.
- Medtronic in North Haven leverages robotics and other innovative technologies to create life-changing medical devices.
- Polarity in Farmington uses augmented reality to enhance computer screen memory to help employees collaborate more efficiently.
- Arccos Golf in Stamford has pioneered the first AI platform to help golfers improve their game.
- Cleatline in Bridgeport is using remote-control technology to create a self-docking device for boats.
- Butterfly Network in Guilford is refining point-of-care technology to transform smartphones into portable ultrasound devices.
- Fiserv in Glastonbury creates automation solutions that help people and businesses move money and information — at the point of thought.
- LambdaVision in Farmington is designing and developing an artificial retina to cure blindness and conducting research for it on the International Space Station.